Thursday, March 15, 2007

smile ;-)

I use the following script within Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) to take a picture of the people sitting in front of their macs and send it to me via email:


b=`users | cut -d " " -f 1`
u=`/usr/bin/ldapsearch -x -h myldapserver.com -b "cn=users, dc=mydomain, dc=com" "uid=$b"| grep cn: |cut -d":" -f 2`
c=`/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/systemsetup -getcomputername | cut -d":" -f 2 | cut -d " " -f 2`
/usr/local/sbin/wacaw --jpeg smile
echo "This is $u ($b) on $c" | /usr/local/bin/mutt -a "/usr/local/sbin/smile.jpeg" -s "$b@$c" "me@mymaildomain.com"
rm /usr/local/sbin/smile.jpeg

It send me a photo of the person sitting in front of the mac together with their name so that I know who it is.

This script uses:
wacaw to capture a picture from the iSight.
The Mutt E-Mail Client
Unlike mail this email client allows me to send an attachment.
Mutt was compiled using the method described in my last post.

It also uses 'ldapsearch' to get the real name of the person.

No comments: